Friday, June 23, 2017

Creative Retreat at Home

I have a birthday coming up in a couple of weeks.  It a milestone birthday and I wanted to do something special. I am unusual birthday girl in that when I am asked what I want to do to celebrate my birthday; I usually say “create something”.

Now I make things all the time but for my birthday I usually want to try something new or make some special item so it is a memento of the birthday.  With a friend one year, we made dolls.  It was the first doll I had made in a long time but I remember her as my birthday doll.  Another year, when I had access to a long arm quilting machine, I quilted a quilt top for myself.  It is not only a beautifully embroidered quilt; it is also my birthday quilt.

This year I decided since I have no appointments or meetings the week of my birthday, I am going to arrange a creative retreat for myself. I am going to plan out a few little small projects and then also work on a big quilt for myself.  

I have a little jewelry kit I bought at a craft store so I think I will do that.  I also have a little embellished mini quilt wall hanging.  It is of a flamingo which seems to fit summer time.  I started a punch needle doll at Christmas and never finished it so that is in my basket of ‘to do’s for this retreat.   I have been working on a sampler quilt with a tropical theme; I’d like to get more work done with that.   And I would like another birthday doll so I am going to try my hand at an embellished art doll.

Even though I know what I want to do, I am not quite ready yet. I still need some supplies.  I want to spend my time that week creating and not hunting around for what I need.  The jewelry kit has everything I need as far as supplies so that activity is set.  I have everything for the punchneedle doll since that is a project I have already started.

What I need is fabric for the mini quilt wall hanging and more fabric for my sampler quilt and some beads and fancy ribbons for the art doll.  That is what I can do from now until my birthday creative retreat.   This is what makes doing ‘at home’ retreats or ‘away from home’ retreats fun.   If you do all the planning ahead of time, you are actually enjoying the retreat before it really starts.

Now not everyone is able to have a whole week of creating and crafting.  But you can maybe do a weekend or even just a day.  Your family might like to join you or at least help you enjoy yourself by making meals or do household chores.  I am planning a lot of take out meals during my retreat.

And as for birthdays, you might even plan a crafty birthday party for your kids or even yourself.  Instead of the game ‘pin the tail on the donkey’, how about ‘let’s creatively color the donkey’.  One friend had coloring sheets and colored pencils as the activity for his daughter’s birthday party.  When he posted the pictures, it looked like so much fun; I wished I had been invited.

You can do the same thing for yourself.  Plan some type of make and take craft for yourself and friends (or request it when asked “what do you want to do on your birthday?”).  The gift would not only be the finished craft but the company of your friends and the memory attached to that day.

I’ll let you know how my birthday creative retreat goes. And to help me celebrate, you also do something creative during the first week in July in honor of my birthday. 

 ©2017 Cheryl Fillion




No comments:

Post a Comment