Friday, March 9, 2018

Keep Dreaming


I watched the Oscars this week.  And while listening to the acceptance speeches, I realized I was watching people’s dreams coming true.  To be recognized for what you created is a wonderful experience.

But it is not just the winners who accomplished their dreams but all the nominees as well.  They might not be taking home a statue but they were dong what they have always wanted to do, what they have dreamt doing.  It is a good lesson to learn from these people:  Follow your dreams and keep following them.  It makes life wonderful.

My bachelor’s degree is in journalism.  I don’t work for a newspaper or magazine.  I don’t do television news.  After college, my interests changed and I went in other directions.   

I have always written. And I thought that is what I would always do. I wrote stories as a child. Yet I never shared them with anyone.  I wrote for the high school and college newspaper.  In high school I had a weekly column called Fillion’s Follies.  I wrote about all kinds of things; whatever was important or interesting that week.

When I went into psychology, I thought I would have to give up the dream of writing. But I kept on by publishing freelance article in quilt magazines.  It became harder to do that and I stopped for a while. 

I tried an email newsletter but I couldn’t figure out how to get subscribers. I wrote for me in my journals and wrote poems which I self published in little books printed at a local copy shop and gave them out as gifts.  It wasn’t a big audience; myself and my family, but I kept writing.  

And now with the advancement of technology and the creation of blogs, I am back to writing again a weekly column. I probably won’t win any prize for my blog.  I am not even sure how many people actually read this but I am accomplishing a dream. And that is what is important.

Even if none of those actors and actresses won the Oscar, they would still be following their dream.  And the same is true for all the other categories that were given awards, for costume, editing, sound, music, etc.  The people who work in those fields may not be winning awards or even making a lot of money, but they are following a dream.

And that is what everyone needs to do – follow their dream.  It may not be a movie or writing but I bet there are things all of you want to achieve.  It could be making the perfect loaf of bread, or raising a family, or finishing college or learning a skill.  Whatever it is, keep doing it.  Keep trying.  You never know when the time, opportunity or creation of blogs will allow you to achieve that dream.  And keep on trying.  Dreams don’t really have an expiration date. 

 ©2018 – Cheryl Fillion

No comments:

Post a Comment