Friday, February 8, 2019

Spool knitted snakes

One of the popular items I sell at craft shows are my spool knitted snakes.  Kids love them (and some adults too).  They are easy to create and just take a small amount of yarn, 2 googly eyes, a little glue, a darning needle or plastic yarn needle  and, of course, your spool  knitter.


I make my snakes about 6 inches long.  This, with the spool knitter I use, takes about 4 yards of yarn.  Knit the length either by following the instructions with your knitter or from my Spool Knitting Tutorial. Once you have the length of a snake you want, tie of the end and remove it from the knitter. 

spoolknitted coil

You will have a little tail of yarn on each end and you will want to hide those.  Thread the yarn into the darning needle or plastic yarn needle and just slip it between the weaves of the coil.  Trim off the excess. Remember to do both sides

hiding the tails

I like my snakes to have a little tongue.  So I cut about 4 inches of red yarn and knot one end.  Thread the other end on your needle and from what you want as the bottom of your snake, thread it through coming out at the end of the coil. If you can give it a little tug, the knot might hide inside the coil.  If you end up pulling out the tongue, just try it again. Sometimes it helps to poke it further in the coil with the tip of the needle.

adding the tongue
hiding the knot


Once you have the tongue in place, turn the snake so the top of it shows, and add two dops of glue to where you want the eyes and add the eyes.  I like the googly eyes but you could add beads or tiny pompoms.

added eyes
 
Speaking of pompoms, if you don’t like the look of the tongue, you can always add a little pompom where you think its nose should be.  Those make really cute snakes (or I call them worms).


snake (or worm) with a pompom nose

This is a great project for kids on a snowy or rainy day.  You can also make a bunch and use them as party favors.  They are simple and fun.  I really like making them.

 

© 2019- Cheryl Fillion






No comments:

Post a Comment