Friday, March 15, 2019

The Same But Different


For the last couple of years I have been thinking of a project I call the Same But Different.  The idea is to have the same design but do it in different techniques (like embroidery, appliqué, punch needle, needle felting etc.).

I belong to a Sampler group and every year a pattern is chosen in different color styles.  Each month it is a different block or in this case the same block but different colors.  I chose the solid colors last year and thought to put them together like a color wheel (it also had a gray ‘background’ fabric.  I have not worked much with gray.). The block was simple: one 8 inch half square triangle and four 4 inch half square triangles.  Now I arranged mine a little different to do my project idea.

Basic Block
I started with the 4 inch squares and embroidered a different outline type stitch on the color part of the triangle with various shades of gray floss so it could bring in the gray from the back ground fabric.

Stem stitch


Chain stitch


Then in the colored part of the 8 inch triangle I used one of my flower cookie cutters to create a design there where I would use the different techniques to enhance it. The color for the design was sort of the complimentary color on the color wheel of the colored fabric (well it was one color over from the complimentary color on the color wheel.  So for red the opposite color was green, I choose a yellow green. No special reason than to just give it a little surprise from what you might think.)

Cookie cutter

The hard part was I did not know exactly what shade of color I would be getting so I couldn’t really start the 8 inch triangle designs until the year was over and I had all the blocks completed.  So as I write this, the Same But Different is still a work in progress. 

The first block I finished I used the technique of couching.  I took some fancy yarn that was in the green coor I wanted and couched the yarn around the design.  Couching is when you attach a yarn or string down on a fabric by making tiny stitches over it to sew it to the fabric.

Couching

The next block was similar to the first but this time it was with some of my spool knitting.  I spool knitted a thin cord and sewed (this time using more of an appliqué stitch) it to the fabric again following the design.  To make sure I had the right length, I measured along the side of the cookie cutter following the curves of it and then spool knitted the same length. There are slight variations in how the design looks but you can tell it is pretty much the same design.

Spool Knitting Cord
That is all I have done right now.  I will let you know how the progress of this goes. To Be Continued.


© 2019  Cheryl Fillion

No comments:

Post a Comment