Friday, December 13, 2019

Traditions


Traditions are important.  They give you a sense of continuity.  You have a memory of something done in the past and an experience to look forward to in the future. They can give a sense of comfort and in many cases bring family and friends together. And they can give you time to reflect on what is important to you and others. And at this time of year, traditions seem especially meaningful.

Everyone has traditions where holidays are concerned.  I always have turkey and pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. I watch the Macy’s Parade and the movie Holiday Inn with Bing Crosby.  To me the holiday wouldn’t be the same without those items.  At Christmas I decorate my house, even though I rarely have visitors.  I do it for me (or maybe I should say I overdo it for me).  There are certain movies I watch during the season and I usually have an Advent calendar to open up each day.  It gives the holiday more meaning to me and connects me to Christmas of the past and family who are no longer with me.

A lot of holiday traditions involve creativity.  Decorating the tree.  Making holiday cookies and candy.  Creating gifts for loved ones (I always remember the pajamas my grandmother used to make for my brothers, cousins and myself.)   Every year since I was a teenager I have made an ornament to give family and friends.  It was something I looked forward to and something others enjoy receiving.  Only one year did I skip the ornament making.  It was the year my mother died and that Christmas was difficult.  I didn’t think I would enjoy making the ornament knowing my mother wouldn’t receive one.  I regret not doing that now. I think it might have helped me with some continuity in a holiday that had changed so much without my mother.   

Many families have traditions that involve creativity.  I bet lots of you make Christmas cookies and candy each year.  You probably look forward to it and do it as a group. It gives you a chance to spend time with loved ones (especially if there are grandchildren involved) and share part of yourself as you serve the cookies at dinner or holiday parties.

You might have some holiday performance you attend.  For the past 3 years I have gone to the local performance of the Nutcracker that our Junior College puts on.  I look forward to it and make an evening out of it with a dinner to a favorite restaurant.  You might attend a church concert or even a city Christmas parade or a school pageant where your child or grandchild is performing. 

Traditions of any kind can be important to a person or a family.  They may bring you together once a year and allow you to connect with what is important.  And even if the tradition is just yours and you don’t share it with others, it gives you a chance to do something special and meaningful.  I usually go alone to the Nutcracker but it is something I end up sharing with others when I talk about it.  I feel good supporting the ballet in our area and showing all the young dancers how much I appreciate their work with my attendance and applause.  

Traditions have a way of creating memories every time you participate.  Think of all the memories you have as a child or of your children having a picture taken with Santa Claus or of going out to pick a Christmas tree or going caroling in your neighborhood.

And being able to participate in the same thing year after year gives a little predictability to our lives in this very unpredictable world.

Make sure you create some traditions for your holidays or for your every days as well.  It will show you and others what is important in your life and give you a chance to celebrate those special days.

©2019 Cheryl E. Fillion

No comments:

Post a Comment