Friday, July 3, 2020

Summer Fun


I was reminded recently of an earlier blog about the summer and I thought it might be good to repeat the message since many of our summer plans have been changed due to the pandemic. 

I like the summer.  I have always had jobs as an adult where my schedule changes and becomes more relaxed during the summer months so it feels like the summer vacation I had as a child.  I sort of turn into a child during the summer.  All I want to do is play and right now that is probably our best medicine.  

What happens to me this time of year is I go back in time.  I get cravings for those ice pops.  You know, the sugar and syrup concoctions in the plastic tube that you stick in the freezer.  I know they have no nutritional value whatsoever but I want them. I want inflatable water toys.  I gaze lovingly at sand pails and shovels.

Think about being a child in the summer.   No homework, no classes, no heavy clothing.  You didn't have to worry about getting dirty.  In the summer, it was expected that you get dirty.  If you were one who went to camp, then there was adventure or at least arts and crafts.  There were ghost stories over an open fire.  There were smores (my latest addiction) to get gooey in your hands.  

Some countries have extended vacations for everyone, not just the school age kids.  And when you think about it, it is not a bad idea.  A break from all responsibility adds a bit of balance to the workaholic thinking our world is in now. It allows us to decompress. That helps the blood pressure and the stress level lower. Unfortunately this is not something we all can do.

So this summer particularly with stay at home orders and social distancing  regress to the child you used to be around this time of year, indulge yourself.  Buy some bottles of bubbles (one for each member of the family) and drive your neighbors crazy with hundreds of bubbles floating from your yard.  Get those ice pops and have one while you are doing the bills.  A purple tongue can make anything easier.  Go buy a pail and shovel and build a mud castle in your potting soil (remember you are supposed to get dirty).  and if there are no fireworks in your community for the 4th of July, buy glow sticks and light up your yard (that is my plan for this year).

Indulge in some summer play.  It will be real fun to do with your children (think of the glee they might experience with a Mom or Dad who has a purple tongue).  Just enjoy yourself.

©2020 Cheryl E. Fillion

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment