Friday, February 12, 2021

The Oval Yoyo

Usually when you see a fabric yoyo, it is a circle, but you can also make oval yoyos.  And you don’t need a store bought oval making tool to do it. 

 

 

The only difference between a round and an oval yoyo is the shape.  Everything else is the same.  To figure out the size fabric to cut, double the size of the finished yoyo.  Make sure you have the width and the length of the oval and then add ½ inch for a seam allowance.

 

 

You sew the oval the same way as the round.  I usually start on the long side of the oval. To me it makes a smoother ending than on one of the rounded ends.  Don’t make your stitches too small (Mine are usually about a ¼ of an inch) or the hole will be bigger.

 

 

 

One other tip when sewing them together is to sew them in the same direction.  So sew long edge with long edges and short ends with short ends.  I found it to hard to keep the yoyos flat and stabilized when I tried to sew them long to short end (in other words alternating the direction of the yoyos).

 

  All in one direction

 

   In alternating direction

 

 

I use my oval yoyos more for appliqué.  They are great for petals of flowers.

 

 

Recently I used them for an initial pillow.  I liked the way they looked compared to the circle yoyos.

 

 

 

If you want a little variety in your yoyos, try an oval yoyo.  They can be just as fun as the circle yoyos. 

 

 

©2021 Cheryl E. Fillion 

No comments:

Post a Comment