Friday, April 9, 2021

Watercolor Pencils on Fabric

Last week I posted about using watercolor paints on fabric.  When I found the paints in a closet I also found a small set of watercolor pencils.  These are pencils which look and color just like colored pencils but when water is added to the fabric will act like water color paints.

 

I did the rainbow stripes again but I did one added step.  This was a small set of pencils and no purple was included so I took the blue pencil and drew it on the fabric and then with the red pencil drew over the blue in hopes that when I added water it would mix and become purple.

 

 

 

If using these pencils on paper, all you would need is a clean wet brush to make the markings look like paint.  But since I was using them on fabric I used the mixture of textile medium and water so I could make the paint permanent.

 

 

 

The pencil marks did spread out but not as they had with the paint.  It could be this was a cheap set of pencils or I have to admit an old set of pencils.  I might try it again with a newer set.

 

But I was still curious with what I had done if the colors would set.  So I let it air dry and then heat set it with an iron.

 

 

Not much of a change.  And my experiment with blending the blue and red worked a little.  In certain light the last line looked purple but when up close it really was a blue line with a red stripe through it.  (It was card to see clearly in a close up picture).

 

And no change after I rinsed it with hot water.  On one hand this is good that there is no change or fading of color but being watercolor pencils, I expected more blending of the colors when the fabric was wet.  They really were no different from regular colored pencils.  All in all this is good to know if for no other reason than watercolor pencils are more expensive. 

 

©2021 Cheryl Fillion

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment