Friday, October 21, 2016

Spool Knitting: Threads and Knitters

Spool knitting will look different depending on the size of the thread and the size of the spool knitter. You need to take that into consideration when you plan to work on a project.  I found this out when I used crochet thread in my spool knitter hoping for a tight cord but instead I ended up with a loosely knitted one.

To me the size of the spool knitter is the distance between two pegs.  I have one that has pegs about ¼” apart which makes very thin cords and I have another one (which I use most often) where the pegs are about ½” apart.

So I tried an experiment for this blog.  I used the same yarn or perle cotton on both spool knitters knitting about 6 inches.  And here is the difference I found.

In the first picture the cords are knitted with the ¼” pegged knitter.  The blue is 4 ply acrylic yarn (you will recognize the cord from my blog post ‘Spool Knitting Tutorial’). The red-orange cord is done with perle cotton #5.  And the white is done with perle cotton #10.
1/4" pegged knitter coils

In the second picture, the cords are knitted with the ½” pegged knitter. The same yarn and perle cotton was used.  Because these pegs are farther apart the knitting stitches are bigger.  And the thinner thread is even looser in the knitting.


1/2" pegged spool knitter


Depending on the look you want with a knitted cord, you might want a thin thread. Knitting with the ¼ inch knitter give the cord a more delicate look.  But with the 1/2” knitter, the knitting doesn’t seem to hold its shape very well (at least to me.)  What do you think?


©2016  Cheryl Fillion

Heartfully Cheryl Etsy Shop:

No comments:

Post a Comment