Friday, October 28, 2016

Yoyos (no, not the toy)

I have two problems.  One, I like fabric.  I make my own clothes, quilts, dolls, pillows and ornaments. I like the feel of fabric and the color and design of fabrics.  All kinds of fabrics - cotton, fleece, satin, wool - tickle my fancy.

My second problem is that my grandmother was a reuser (if that is even a word) and recycler before those terms were officially part of our vocabulary.  She would save to use anything she could.  I remember a big ball of string that had pieces as small as 3” and as large as a couple of feet. Remember when frozen dinners came in aluminum trays with aluminum foil on top.  She saved those pieces of foil to reuse somewhere else  

So what do those two ‘problems’ have to do with each other?  I use every bit of fabric I can, even the smallest of pieces.  My favorite way to use small pieces is by making fabric yoyos.

Now I am not talking about the toy on a string that many people (not I) can make do all kinds of tricks. I am talking about circles of fabric that is sewn around the edge and gathered together to form a little rosette.  Yoyos became popular during the Victorian age, around the late 1800s.  But they became a fad between 1920-1940, because they were easy for women to carry around and do anywhere.  They still today are popular for that same reason.


Depending on the size of the yoyo, they can be used to make all kinds of things.  In the 1920s, bed coverlets were a popular thing to make with yoyos.  I haven’t been that ambitious with my yoyos.

 As well as…





  table mats



                            


   ornaments

                                                                



or fabric pins.

Next week I’ll have a tutorial on how to make yoyos.

Here’s a couple of yoyo items from my etsy shop






  




No comments:

Post a Comment