Friday, May 5, 2017

My Wreath of HOPE

For the past ten years, I have been involved with the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life.  It is an event to raise money for cancer research and services for cancer survivors. It is a walking event where a team of people take turn walking a track in support of cancer survivors.

This year I decided to leave little items around for people to find.  And as a result I played around with my spool knitter and yoyos.  I made little purple spool knitter wreaths and wrote HOPE on yoyos which I attached to the wreaths. Purple is the color for the Relay.

HOPE Wreath


I have a big cone of 2 ply purple yarn.  It is too thin to make a thick spool knitted cord. So I pulled some off on to empty thread spools and with some white crochet thread I used the three threads together. This gave enough thickness to make a nice cord.  


yarn and thread


I made my beginning and ending threads longer than I normally do so I could tie the ends together and make a bow and hanger for the wreath.  (Check out my earlier blog on spool knitting)
wreath


I then made a white oval shaped yoyo (sew it the same as a circle yoyo just start out with an oval shaped piece of fabric.  Check out my earlier blog on yoyos.) and with a fabric pen wrote the word HOPE on the yoyo flat side and then sewed it on the wreath.

HOPE yoyo

 
The night of the Relay I left some around the track as I walked a lap. They were gone when I went back to look.  I am hoping someone enjoys the wreaths and that the wreath and its message brought a smile to someone’s face.



©2017 Cheryl Fillion 

No comments:

Post a Comment