Friday, November 3, 2017

Love Many Things


I journal.  I usually have my journal with me everywhere.  Even sometimes to bed.  This way if I need to get down an idea or an emotion, it is right there for me to get it all out.  I try to find journals with interesting covers so I can always look at something inspiring.

My latest journal has inspirational quotes and phrases on the cover.  The one I like the best reads: “Fall in love with as many things as possible”. When I read that I immediately thought of my needlework.  I like doing so many different things and usually have one or two or twenty different projects going on at once.   

I usually get inspired to start a new pattern or design and am too impatient to finish the project I am working on before I start the new one.  I eventually finish my projects.  It might take years but they do get finished. 

 But sometimes the fact that I do so many different types of needle work bothers the people around me.  “Do you do everything?” they ask.  No.  I never got the hang of crocheting, knitting, or tatting.  But still they want me to concentrate on one thing.  Why when there are so many things out there to try?

I like doing different things.  It gives me variety.  I think I would be bored if I did just one thing all the time.  If I do my needle felting for a while and need a change of pace I try a little embroidery or appliqué.  Then after a while I can do the needle felting again.  It is like I have given myself a little vacation and now I am refreshed.

Often one form of needle work gives me a new idea for another needle work I do.  Recently the embroidery I have been doing has inspired me to try embroidery on my needle felting.  I am working on some felted hearts with little flowers embroidered on them.  (I’ll post a picture when I get them done.)

I have also noticed that if I keep switching needlework, my hands or arms don’t get sore.  With needle felting there is the repetitive motion of up and down of the needle into the wool roving or batting but if I do some hand quilting my hand is making a different motion.  So it helps flex different muscles.

And with some things I have to concentrate and with others I can just do it automatically.  So if I am with some friends or watching TV. I can spoolknit or needle felt but if I need to have some quiet, hand quilting or weaving is better for that.

It is OK to like to do different things.  And it is also OK if you like doing just one type of needlework or art.   As another quote on my journal cover says, “Do What You Love”.

 

©2017  Cheryl Fillion

 

No comments:

Post a Comment