Friday, November 13, 2020

Yoyo Ornament

 

Every year since I was a teenager, I have made an ornament for family and friends at Christmas time.  If you line all my ornaments up you can see the history of my crafting.

 

This year I have been making a lot of fabric yoyos.  It is an easy and for me relaxing craft to do when I am anxious and 2020 haws certainly made a lot of us anxious.

 

A while back. exactly when and by who I don’t know, I was given a piece of polyester fabric that had an unusual red and white design on it.   It was hard to use it in a quilt since it was polyester.  ut it would work with yoyos. 

 

 

 

The nice thing about yoyos is you can use any type of fabric not just cotton.  You can use a sheer fabric or heavy denim.  The yoyos will look a little different with each type of fabric and it is not good to use different types of fabric together but you can use it.

 

So since the fabric was red and white, I thought a yoyo candy cane might look nice. So I started cutting out circles.  I figured I would need 8 yoyos for each ornament (and I need about 20 ornaments this year).  I wanted a small ornament so my circle was about 1 ¾ inch in diameter which would end up with a finished yoyo of about

 

           

 

 

 

To make a cane shape I needed to line up 5 yoyos up straight on one side then have one slight to the left in the center and then two more under that.

 

 

 

 

 

 

That is how I sewed them and then added a thread loop sewn through the top yoyo and the ornament was done.

 

 

 

©2020 Cheryl Fillion

No comments:

Post a Comment