Friday, November 6, 2020

Try an Internet Group

I am one who likes to be in groups – Quilt guilds, Fiber artist groups and Saturday sampler.  The exchanges of ideas, the learning together and of course, the show and tell are what is best in a group.  But Covid and social distancing makes that difficult unless you look online.

 

I am paying closer attention to the groups I follow on Facebook.   I didn’t seem to have time for that before all the shutdowns.  But now I do and I am being inspired by the photos.  I am learning about material and techniquesin the posts and replies.  I have also found groups that I didn’t know existed or would have thought to even look for.  Just last night I found one on needle felting.  I never thought to look for a group on that.

 

I am seeing more online classes from well known quilters and artists that before all of this would have been offered only in person either at quilt guilds or artist retreats.  But now they are available online and anyone around the world can take them.

 

Groups are offering online meetings.  A local group involved with spreading peace offered a conversation on peace through Facebook. The college where I work is offering professional development through Zoom.  And the college’s jazz ensemble is performing online this week.  I am more likely to watch it online and from the comfort of my home. What could be better than that.

 

Just because we can’t get together in person due to the virus doesn’t mean we can’t get together.  Try a zoom meeting. My fiber artist group is meeting this way.   Or if nothing else form your own Facebook group with the members of your local group.  You can make the group private, only open to your members and do some of the things you would do in person.  You can still share ideas and offer suggestions in a written post and show off your creations (or pictures of the kids or grandkids) in the photos.

 

Having to stay apart from people physically does not mean having to stay apart socially.  Staying social – even online – helps with lowering depression and building up the immune system.     And just think what that would do for your creativity.  So check out Facebook for a group with your interests.  See if your favorite teacher is offering online classes.  And keep up with your friends through email.

 

©2020  Cheryl Fillion

No comments:

Post a Comment