Friday, October 30, 2020

Charm Squares

The last couple of weeks I have been cutting squares of fabric.  Why?  Because the fabric was there.  No, I am kidding.  For some time now I have been cutting scraps of fabric into various size squares.  The measurements go from 2 to 6 inches and if anything was smaller that could be a circle for my mini yoyos, I cut those as well.

 

I found that it helps to keep my fabric organized and arranged without all kinds of oddly shaped scraps. So now I have shoe box size bins with various squares.

 

These pieces are usually called Charm squares after the idea of quilts made with squares all of one size but with no fabric design repeated in the quilt.  Women would trade fabric squares like little boys traded baseball cards.  It was a challenge to make those kinds of quilts.  If you are someone who likes scrap quilts it is possible you will use some size square.  If you have them all cut, you are ready to go when the design you like shows up.

 

I have never made a charm quilt but I have found that my boxes of cut up squares have come in handy.  I did one quilt that required 5 inch squares and with some already cut up. I was ready to start piecing.

 

                                             

 

 

When I have taught how to make yoyos, I take along my box of 4 inch squares for the students to choose from.

 

                                           

 

These boxes of fabric come in handy if I need just a little bit of one color for an appliqué or a yoyo embellishment.  I just search the boxes until I find what I need and then I am not cutting in to any yardage of fabric.

 

Some people would get out the rotary cutter and ruler and cut away but I made templates out of  stiff stabilizer material and cut with a scissor.  This allows me to cut while sitting in my chair and watching (or maybe listening to) tv.  It ends up being very relaxing and a bit of a travel down memory lane remembering when and why I had bought the original yardage of fabric.

 

I also make packets of squares for the guild booth at our quilt show and they tend to sell fast.  Not everyone likes to sit and cut fabric squares.  This is why many fabric companies will sell precut fabric in either 2 ½ or 5 inch squares of various lines of fabric.


So if you have a lot of fabric scraps and like to make scrap quilts, consider cutting up the scraps into the size squares you are most likely to use. It doesn’t matter if you don’t have plans for a quilt right now, the squares will come in handy sometime in the future. 



©2020 Cheryl Fillion

 


No comments:

Post a Comment