Friday, December 11, 2020

A Simple Cheap Gift for Yourself

Every year I ask myself what I want for the holidays.  Suggestions for what others can give me and ideas for a gift I can give myself.  It sound strange to give a gift to yourself but it is very practical.  You can get exactly what you want so there is no disappointment and it brings a special memory to that item.  One year I bought myself a weather radio for when the power goes out during a storm.  I got just the one I wanted and when I look at it or use it, I think of that Christmas.

 

Where I work and live, I tend to have about a month off during the holidays.  I usually don’t travel nor have many visitors.  So one year I had a Christmas of UFOs (unfinished objects.


 

I picked out the projects I really wanted to complete, put them in gift bags and put them under the tree.  As my holiday break went on I would take out a project and worked on it. 

If I worked on it before Christmas Day and finished it, I would put it back in the bag and put it back under the tree.  This way I had a new blouse or quilt or pillow for Christmas.  And if there were still UFOs under the tree at Christmas, I then had a fun project to work on while I listened to music or watched TV.  That holiday I think I finished about 20 projects during that month.

 

And when you think about it, putting projects in a bag to complete is actually a cheap gift because you have already bought everything.  And if you haven’t, here is your chance to do a little Christmas shopping.

 

I decided to do that again this year.  With no travel being planned or visits with friends, I need to make sure I have some fun.  I have two pairs of pants cut out and ready to sew.  I have a wall hanging I want to get quilted.  I have a quilt top from a class I took this past February to complete.  Under my tree is going to look very full with projects to do and some completed projects to enjoy.

 

If you have some UFOs and aren’t going somewhere or having any visitors, why not give yourself the holiday of completion.  You will feel very satisfied and will now have time to start new projects for the New Year. Happy UFO-ing.

 

©2020 Cheryl Fillion

No comments:

Post a Comment