Friday, January 29, 2021

The Seed Stitch

 

I have been doing embroidery since I was a child.  And in all that time I have used lots of different stitches.  But recently I learned about and have tried a new stitch: the seed stitch.

 

It is a very simple stitch.  It essentially is a small straight stitch. I make mine about 1/4-1/3 inches long.   What makes this stitch a little different is instead of stitching it along a line, you do the one stitch scattered over an area like you were scattering seeds on the ground. Seed stitches are used as fillers, a stitch that covers a large area.  

 

 

 

Now I noticed in some of my embroidery books that often it is stitched in pairs and the pair of stitches were scattered.  It gives it a slightly different look than the single seed stitch.  I like using the single stitch, you might like the double.  Try both and see.

 

What I like about the seed stitch is it can be used to emphasize one part of your design like the star in the heart

 

Or it can be used to give the illusion of a solid as it does with the stripes of the heart.

 

It is a simple stitch to do and it gives an interesting look to your embroidery.  Try it yourself.

 

 

© 2021 Cheryl E. Fillion

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment