Friday, January 1, 2021

Mittens for Lunch

Mittens for Lunch

 

 

So many things changed in 2020 with the pandemic.  But so many new things happened.

 

I had one small thing change which turned out to be fun.  Usually in December our quilt guild has a potluck luncheon.  But of course we had to change that.  So instead we had a socially distanced lunch.  We were able to be together but instead of bringing a dish to share, we just brought our own lunch. (I had a ham on rye sandwich.)

 

But the fun new thing we did for the lunch was to decorate our place setting.  I have a snowman plate so I thought I would decorate with a snowy theme.  I thought this would be easy but finding a snowy fabric for placemats and napkin actually turned out a bit challenging.  There was no Christmas fabric left at the big box fabric store (I guess everyone was sewing for Christmas) but at a favorite quilt store I did find some white dots (and what looked like tiny metallic silver dots) on navy.  

 

I then took my mitten cookie cutter and traced it on to some fusible webbing and then ironed it on white and red fabric and appliquéd 3 sets of mittens on to the navy dotted ‘snow’ fabric.  I used a hand sewn buttonhole stitch to sew them down.  I then quilted the placemat with diagonal lines and with the addition of some snowflake sequins, my place mat was done.

 

 

I decided to make a napkin ring (I did make a napkin with the same navy fabric) but I wanted to do something different.  So I took the mitten cookie cutter and with some red roving wool and needle felted a mitten and added a snowflake sequin to that as well.

 

 

  I wasn’t sure how to make the ring part.  I didn’t like how a fabric loop looked as the ring and I didn’t have any elastic to make a ring.  So with some white fuzzy yarn, my ring turned out to be a tie.  I just folded the napkin and tied the yarn around it.  It probably wasn’t very fancy but I didn’t care I liked it and I was ready for the lunch.

 

 

 

 

We had a nice lunch.  I didn’t win a prize for my place setting but that was OK because I liked what I made.  I did win 12 fat quarters playing bingo after the lunch.  So I can’t complain.

 

 

While a lot of things changed in 2020, a lot of new things came about. Some of those things were challenging, some disappointing but in the case of our luncheon, some were fun and creative.

 

©2020 Cheryl Fillion  

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment