Friday, May 18, 2018

I Live in Clutter and I Love It


My house is cluttered.  Not really dirty (a bit dusty maybe.  We had a neighbor growing up whose philosophy was “If people are going to come in my house and look for dust, I am going to leave some.  I don’t want to disappoint anyone.”  I have adopted her philosophy.)  But my house is cluttered.  I have boxes and baskets and yes piles of projects and craft supplies.  I usually have multiple projects going on at once.  I never know when the mood will strike me to change what I am doing so I want everything close by (and I actually know where things are in my clutter.  I have found that if I “put it away”, I don’t remember where I put it.).


But it does drives my visitors and landlord crazy.  One friend stopped by recently and looked around at my living room frowning at my clutter and I said “Welcome to the Heartfully Cheryl Manufacturing Center”.  It was a way of letting her know there was a purpose to my “mess”. But I will admit after recent events, my clutter can be difficult.

A few weeks ago, my refrigerator decided to stop cooling.  It apparently decided on a career change.  And so we had to get a new one.  The best way to get anything out of my house is through the front door, which meant moving furniture, a sewing machine and much of my clutter.

It was challenging I had things in places I don’t normally have things like the bathroom and the front porch.  But it worked out and I now have cold and frozen food again.  But I wasn’t allowed to get everything back in place (which turned out to be good) when my washing machine decided to go to the big Laundromat in the sky.  Again everything needed to be moved (and even more things from the hallway between the kitchen and laundry room) to get the old machine out and the new one in.

This time I decided to clean out some things.  Two items I had to move were 2 drawer file cabinets I use to store teaching notes and exams and in them I found all kinds of things for classes I no longer teach.  So off to the recycling center those items went.  I cleaned out fabric and yarn to go to various friends and charities.  I found a new spot for my paid bills to go and also for my card stock.  And I hate to admit it I found some projects I had forgotten about but now will get finished.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with clutter.  I like having my projects around me to work on. My moods and energy level often decide what I am going to do at the moment.

But there is something to say about clearing out the old that you really don’t need anymore (and cleaning up the dust too.)  If you don’t mind the clutter, don’t change because others don’t like it.  But every once in a while, go through it and see what you still need and what you really don’t need.

 

©2018- Cheryl Fillion

No comments:

Post a Comment