Friday, May 25, 2018

Spool knitted Bracelets


As you may have noticed from earlier posts, I like to spool knit.  It is relaxing and quick and you can make lots of things.  Lately I have been working on bracelets for the Relay for Life I am involved in and for a Kid’s Day a local group runs.

The fun thing with these bracelets is that they look great, the kids love them and they only use 2 pegs of my spool knitter.  Just because a spool knitter has 4 or more pegs doesn’t mean you have to use them all.  You can make knitted cords using just one or two pegs.

So here is how the spool knitter looks using all four pegs.  You end up with a nice fat cording.



















But what if we used only three of the pegs?  To do that you skip one peg.  Just pretend like it is not even there. (but do be careful not to wrap the yarn around the unused peg or you will have a yarn loop coming out of the side of your bracelet.)  You end up with a slightly thinner cord than with the 4 peg cord.






















I use just two pegs for most of my bracelets.  It is quicker to complete and you can get a lot of bracelets out of a little bit of yarn. I also think it is the perfect thickness for little hands.  The cord does have a slight more angular look to it than when using 3 or 4 pegs.

 






















The one peg gives a completely different look.  For this one when you put the original look around the peg to start the knitting, immediately wrap the yarn around the same peg twice above the loop. I tried wrapping it only once and the loop just kept spinning around the peg and wouldn’t catch a knit stitch.  Then what I did was lift with my tool the loop yarn and one wrap yarn over the top wrapped yarn and knitted as I usually do. From then on you just have to wrap the yarn once around the peg and spool knit like you normally would but just remember to use one peg. I did find that I had to hold the yarn tight when knitting or I would have spaces between the stitches. 

 





















I don’t use one peg much at all but some people might like the look of the knitting.  Try it yourself and see what you think. It might work better with a heaver yarn. It also has more of a flat look to the cording.














I make the length of the bracelets about 6 inches with tails on each end for tying also about 6 inches.  Since I don’t know how big the wrist will be this is a good size and the yarn for tying helps to extend the length if an adult is wearing the bracelet.  Some yarns are stretchy enough that you don’t need to even have long tail ends for tying.  Again try it and see what you like.

These bracelets are good for little girl wardrobes.  She can have a color for each outfit.   They can be used for party favors or even as a substitute for ribbon on a package.  I am using them for our local American Cancer Society Relay for Life event as fund raiser.  You can use them in the color of what ever charity awareness you would like (for example pink for breast cancer or red for AIDS awareness)

What ever you do with them, they are fun to make. 


© 2018  Cheryl E. Fillion


No comments:

Post a Comment