Friday, November 16, 2018

I Went to the Houston Quilt Show


Last week a group of quilters from our local quilt guild rented a bus and went to the International Quilt Show in Houston, Texas.  I hadn’t been in years and even went into training to prepare myself.  (Training?  - yeah, I did more walking to get ready for the walking I would do at the Convention Center. hahaha).

I am so glad I did.  There were over 1000 quilts and hundreds of vendors.  All of it was inspiring and overwhelming.  The quilts were magnificent; definitely the best of the best of quilting. (for copyright reasons I can’t post any pictures.)  They came from all over the world.  I saw quilts from Japan, China, and South Africa as well as quilts from my state of Texas.  You could just be walking along and hear languages from all over the world.   It is truly an international event.

I was inspired by what I saw.  The use of color and imagery was amazing.  There were a lot of special theme exhibits.  One was having to do with Mother Earth, another with Elvis Presley and a group of wall hangings from South Africa.    The different interpretations of each theme were astonishing.  It just shows how diverse people are in their thinking and quilting. 

There were a lot of traditional quilts that made you say Wow when you saw them (I said wow a lot).  And lots of abstract art quilts and pictorial quilts.  Some of the picture quilts looked like photographs until you got up close and saw that they were fabric and thread.  There was a group of thread painted quilts that really did look like photos.  In fact friends I have shown my pictures to can’t believe they are not photos. Look up thread painting on the internet and you will see what I mean.

At times I would think “Just hang up your needle and thread, Cheryl.  You will never be that good.”  But when I would see another different design or color scheme, I realized all quilts are wonderful and all quilts need to be included even my own.

I am new at the craft of art quilts.  I told my brother after seeing these quilts, I now want to try and see what I can do. And that is what quilt shows are all about.  Not just to put a quilter’s work on display but to inspire other quilters to keep on quilting and strive to be the best. 

If you go to a big quilt show like this, go with a friend or friends.  It is much more fun to share the experience.  You don’t have to look at the quilts together; everyone looks at art at a different pace.  But generally sharing the experience together makes it more memorable.  I will remember the bus trip there and back as much as the show itself.

And dress for comfort not fashion.  You will be standing and walking a lot so you might as well be comfortable.  If you want to buy food there and not carry a lunch, go for it.  But I had a feeling there was going to be long lines at any food area so I brought my own water and sandwich.  I didn’t want to waste any time waiting in a line when I could be looking at quilts.

I am trying to use the supplies I have so I didn't buy much but I have to say the vendors were amazing.  If that is what you like to do the most at the quilts shows, bring a totebag to put your purchase bags in.  You don’t want to be worrying about dropping or leaving behind some purchase because you can’t hold on to all the bags holding your treasures. 

And most definitely watch your money.  This is just the place for those who can slip their hand in a purse and walk away with your wallet without you knowing.  I brought a purse with a flap that covered up the opening and kept that flap toward my body when it was on my shoulder.  One friend wore a jacket with breast pockets and that is where she kept her money and credit cards.  She said it did get warm with the jacket on but she didn’t mind as long as her money was safe.

And I joked at the start of this blog that I went into training but I have to tell you, I am so glad I increased my walking time before the quilt show.  I started off with short walks in August and gradually increase the time and distance.  I have done quilts shows before and have come home so sore I could barely get out of bed the next day.  But not this time.  Oh my feet were sore but not hurting.  And my back has felt better since I have been walking more.  (Now just don’t tell my doctor it was the quilt show and not her medical advice that got me walking more.)

My advice to you is if you have a chance to go to a big quilt show and especially if someone else is driving, GO!  It is well worth the time, the money and you will be so inspired to do some more quilting.


©2018  Cheryl Fillion

No comments:

Post a Comment