Friday, December 14, 2018

Unplugged


I learned something about myself recently; I spend too much time at my computer.

Now it is true a lot of my work involves a computer. I have college classes where much of the grading is done on a computer, my online Etsy business and of course, this blog. But there are times when I am just surfing the net or looking up things in my personal files or playing solitaire and I spend more time on doing those things than I need.

My computer needed some repair work done so I was without it for a couple of days.  Since I don’t have a laptop, tablet or smart phone, I was basically unplugged.

I usually check my emails first thing in the morning.  In fact I often eat my breakfast with my email. But with my computer gone, I enjoyed what I was eating more.  I could concentrate on the taste of the food rather than just putting the fork or spoon in my mouth. I found there were times I would think “I need to look such and such up” and would go to my computer only then to remember it wasn’t there.  I apparently look up things a lot and knowing me I would have stayed on the computer after looking up what ever that such and such was, probably looking more things up.

I finished a lot of things while off the computer.  Got more reading done.  Actually wrote the first version of this blog in long hand (and that is a first for this blog).  Since I didn’t have my computer, I didn’t need to sit at my desk and my back thanked me for that.

Now this doesn’t mean I am going to give up my computer totally as I mentioned above I need it for much of my work (and in full disclosure I didn’t give up the computer entirely.  I did go to the library to use their computers once a day so I could check on my students and customers.)

But I can make a conscious effort to walk away from the computer when emails are read and assignments graded.  If I need to look something up or check out Facebook, do it maybe in the evening when I’m watching TV and even then limit my time.  I can get a lot more non-electronic work done if I just unplug myself more.

Do you find yourself at the computer or on your smart phone more than you need?  What could you accomplish if you put down the electronics?  Think about it.  You don’t have to give it up entirely (and shouldn’t if it involves your business) but maybe a little less of it wouldn’t hurt.  I am going to add less computer time to my New Year’s Resolutions.  Well, I will as soon as I create a page in my personal file for resolutions.


©2018  Cheryl E. Fillion

No comments:

Post a Comment