Friday, August 2, 2019

Join a Group


There is nothing better than being a member of a group of people who have the same interests as you do.  I belong to the local quilt guild and the Fiber Artists group.

Not only in a group do you have people who share your interests and talk about the same things you do (If you have ever talked about your needlework or art to someone who just doesn’t care, you know what I mean.) but you learn from them.  They may have a slightly different way of doing something or might even know of a better needle, thread, paint or brush. 

If it is a formal group you belong to, you might get a chance to take some classes in techniques you want to learn.  If nothing else you can get together and socialize while you are creating.  And if you have a problem, two heads (or more) are better than one. Recently I was trying to figure out how to embellish an art quilt I had made.  I showed it to my small quilting group and with one turn of my little quilt, they gave me a totally different way to look at it and a totally new idea of embellishment.  I would still be struggling without them.

Belonging to a group gives you cheerleaders when you need them most.  They can cheer you on when you are sure and not sure what you are doing but they also can help in non creative parts of your life.  When I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes so many of the guild members helped with advice since they had experienced the same thing themselves.  And I know if I ever am in the hospital, they will be there with a visit.

And for me going on the bus trips with the guild to the Houston and Dallas quilt shows makes the experiences so much more fun.  I can share opinions of the quilts, have someone to shop with and eat lunch with and just laugh all the way there and home. 

If there is no formal group in your area, start one.  It doesn’t have to be a formal registered non-profit organization.  It can just be a group of creatives who get together and create.  You can meet in someone’s home or try a local church or library to meet.  Or even try meeting in a class room of a local quilt store.  Our small group that is part of the larger quilt guild meets at a local quilt shop.  And rarely does a meeting go by when most of us don’t purchase something from the shop.  So it becomes a benefit for both your group and the shop.

Just join a group.  It might be a great way to meet other creative people.  And remember if it turns out not to be for you, you can always leave the group.  But my guess is you will stay a member.

©2019 Cheryl Fillion

No comments:

Post a Comment