Friday, August 30, 2019

Reading for My Health


I have spent the last couple of weeks mostly reading.  I have hardly done any needle work.  And it has been the best thing for me. 

It has helped me rest from a very busy summer.  It has distracted me from all the negative news.  And it has given me some wonderful ideas for new quilts and embroidery.

Research has shown that reading is great for your health.  It lowers your stress level by distraction in the form of an engaging story.  If you read before bed, you tend to sleep better (as long as the book isn’t gory or too scary.  But that could just be me.)  It also helps reduce depression and dementia. 

I find that it exposes me to different people (in the character) and different settings I normally wouldn’t have a chance to meet or go.  I particularly like mysteries.  And two mystery series I enjoy have recipes at the end of each book.  One of the series refers to different herbs and the author includes little facts and suggests on how those herbs are to be used.

The way some authors describe the settings of their stories make you feel like you are actually there.  So in my mind, it is like going on vacation.  And it gives me great ideas for a quilt or an embroidery piece.  One series of mysteries the main setting is a tea shop.  I am not much of a tea drinker but I learn so much on how to brew tea, what different types of teas that are out there.   So now tea cups and tea pots are showing up in my designs.  Last year I did a pin cushion exchange in our quilt guild and I needle felted a tea cup to be used as a pin cushion.  I am sure the idea came from those mysteries. 

Some other research on reading shows that reading increases our empathy and gives us another view of the world through the eyes of the characters.  That can be helpful with persona or professional relationships.  Occasionally I read fantasy or science fiction and that does give you another view of your world when comparing it to an alien world.

What I really like is the distraction it gives when things are stressful (if you are involved with a book, you can’t think about what is stressing you).  You just escape for a while.  And with that distraction, it will help lower your blood pressure.  Although I did find out yesterday, that if you have a really engrossing book, it can make you late for an appointment, because you don’t want to put the book down.  Fortunately I got through the discovery of the murderer before I had to leave for class.  I don’t think I would have been able to concentrate wondering Who Dun It?

So the next time you need a break or want to get away but can’t, read a book.  It doesn’t have to be a mystery or even fiction but make sure it is something you want to read, not something you have to read.  It can improve your concentration, your vocabulary and lower your stress.

 

©2019  Cheryl Fillion

 

No comments:

Post a Comment