Friday, November 1, 2019

Cookie Cutters Aren’t Just For Cookies


It is starting to be that time of year where we think of holiday goodies.  But I am one who does do much baking and yet I have dozens of cookie cutters.  You see you can use cookie cutters for more than just cookies.  They are great shapes for kid’s crafts, appliqué, needle felting, punch needle and embroidery.
'


I use pumpkin, bell and stars for kid’s crafts at the market.  I trace the cookie cutter on to paper, scan them on my printer so I can enlarge them to the size I need (although I have pumpkin cutters in just the size I needed).   I print them out on cardstock, cut them out and punch a hole in the top then add yarn for a hanger.  Give them to the kids to glue whatever they want on it or just color them.  I was given pompoms of various colors so we have been using those.



I have also used them for appliqué.  Again just trace the cookie cutter; cut it out on fabric and sew it down.  I like the cat and witch cutters my mom had as we were growing up.  They were great appliqués for my Halloween quilt (which one of these years I will finish).




I enjoy punchneedle embroidery.  Recently I found some tie-dyed embroidery floss and wanted to see how it would look stitched out.  So I took several sizes of my heart shaped cookie cutters and made myself a little heart ornament using the floss.

Of course you can also use the shape for some simple red work (or any color) embroidery.  Again just trace the cutter (if desired, you can enlarge it as described above), get out your hoop, needle and embroidery thread, and stitch away.




Cookie cutters are also a great shape for needle felting which is my favorite way to do needlefelting. .  As long as the cutter is open on both ends, you can place your roving in the cutter and needle felt until the roving takes the shape of the cutter.  Then once you have finished felting it, you can use it as an appliqué, stick a thread hanger through it for an ornament or glue a magnet on the back and put it on your frieg.  (I’ll have a future blog concerning needle felting in a shape.)





Making sugar cookies are so much fun and decorating them with children creates memories but using your cutter with fabric and thread (or glue and pompoms) is a way to keep the cookies forever.  Cookie cutters aren’t just for cookies anymore.

 

© 2016, 2019 Cheryl Fillion




 





No comments:

Post a Comment