Friday, November 29, 2019

Mini Yoyo Tree Ornament


I am in the mood to make my mini yoyos.   And this time of year, my favorite thing to make with yoyos are little tree ornaments. 

They don’t take many yoyos – just 10 green and 1 brown one (brown yoyo is the trunk of the tree).  I like to use all different kinds of green colors and patterns but you could easily use the same green throughout the ornament.





To refresh yourself on how to make a yoyo go to my blog Fabric Yoyos: Tutorial.   For the ornament you need to have a yoyo about ¾” finished.  That size yoyo needs a fabric circle about 1 ¾” in diameter.

I start out the sewing by doing the green yoyos in rows.  And then I sew the rows together.


When you line up these yoyos, they will be off center from one row to the next.  You need to make sure you sew them together wherever they meet to the next yoyo.  When I go to sew the yoyos together, I try to find a thread that matches most of the colors or is a medium shade of the color.  You don’t want anything too light or too dark.  Your stitches will really stand out then and might take away from the yoyos (plus it will really show any wonky stitches you might have made.  After years of making yoyos, I still have some stitches that aren’t very pretty.)




Just continue to sew the rows together until all four rows form a triangle.  Then at the very bottom in the center of the row, sew the brown yoyo for the trunk of the tree.

At a thread to the top yoyo for a hanger and you have a yoyo tree Christmas ornament.





©2019 Cheryl Fillion





No comments:

Post a Comment