Friday, November 8, 2019

I went to the Houston Quilt show


Last year I took a trip with other quilt members to the Houston Quilt show.  It was so amazing, I went again this year.  I was not disappointed.

It is known as an international quilt show and that it is.  Quilts from all over the world are on display there.  You think of quilting as an American craft but it really isn’t.   I heard many different languages, saw different cities I had never heard of on the quilt description sheets and even bought some gifts from a vendor from New Zealand.

I was particularly struck by two things while at the show.  One was how friendly everyone was.  Now that really is not so unusual but I noticed that with the bond of quilting and fiber arts, quilters truly are friends who just haven’t met yet.  I got to know better some of the guild members I traveled with and carried on conversations with quilters from England, Canada and closer to home, Kansas.  We shared tips on the best quilts to check out, the best vendors to visit, as well as complaints as to how cold it was in Houston that day (it was unseasonably cold for this time of year.  And those traveling who expected Houston, Texas to be warm were very surprised.).

The other thing that struck me was the imagination and creativity that was on display.  Even with an exhibit that had a theme (like the show theme of blue and white quilts) no idea or pattern was duplicated.   I have had people tell me that quilting is old fashion, or on its way out as an art form or that you see the same thing over and over.  Just one look at the quilts in Houston or any quilt show really, and you see that that is not true.

As far as quilting being thought of as old fashion, I saw one quilt that from a distance looked like metal chain mail which I thought was unusual for a quilt show but on closer inspection I found it was layered and cut fabric.  The illusion was amazing (sorry due to copyright laws I can’t share any pictures of the quilts at the show.)  Another quilt had a bit of technology attached to it.  It looked like a landscape with the foreground made of light and dark colored triangles.  As you looked at it, the light colors changed from pinks and oranges to purple and blues.  The quilt was attached to a frame and there were lights behind the quilt that would change colors giving the different color changes to the light colored fabric.  I never would have thought to do that.

The idea that quilting is an art form that is on its way out of popularity or that you often see the same design is certainly not true when you see all the quilters who were at that show that day or even looking at all the quilts displayed.  You might not see your grandmother’s scrappy log cabin quilt but you will see a log cabin with the word LOOK inside two diamond designs all made of small log cabin blocks.  You might not see a summer coverlet made of my favorite yoyo pieces, but you will see a pixilated picture of a woman’s face made out of yoyos.  It is the quilts made of such detail that they look like photos but are actually pieced or appliquéd that make my jaw drop.

I told a woman I met there that I had been quilting since 1982 and yet coming to this show I feel like an amateur.  But that is the beauty of this quilt show and others shows, quilting has a place for everyone and there is always something new to explore and learn and create. And every quilt show you go to or every show and tell in a quilt meeting you get to see can inspire you to make something new or go in a different direction with your art.  If you ever get a chance to go to the International Quilt Show in Houston or anywhere, don’t pass that chance up.  You will not regret it.


©2019 Cheryl Fillion

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment