Friday, November 22, 2019

The Gift That Keeps on Giving


(I posted this a couple of years ago.  A friend reminded me that this is a good idea so I thought I would post it again.  Happy Holiday Gift Giving.)

Looking for a gift for someone?  Having a hard time finding the right thing?  How about giving them an activity instead?  What if you introduced them to a new craft or art form?

Giving crafts as gifts is the best way to create a lifelong memory.  My little spool knitting doll was given to me as a gift when I was a child.  I enjoyed it then and still do.  The first crewel embroidery I ever did was an embroidery kit.  The instructions, the yarn, the needle, printed fabric were all included in the kit.

Kits where everything is included (even any tools like needles) is the best way to start someone on a new creative adventure.  My love of needle felting came with a kit that included step by step picture instructions, the roving and the needle.  I don’t think I would have tried it if I had to find all the supplies separately.  Now I have gone crazy for needle felting.

If a kit isn’t available, why not sign them up for a class.  Many fabric and craft stores provide classes as well as libraries, community centers or non-profit organizations (YMCA, for example).  If there is something you can teach your gift recipient, buy them all the supplies they need to start lessons with you. This way they have their own tools and supplies.

Or give a gift card to a craft or hobby store, so they can choose their own craft.  And to add to your fun, go with them when they spend their gift.  It is another way you can share the experience.

Remember to start off small.  If they want to learn to quilt, start out with a pillow or small wall hanging.  You don’t want to buy all the supplies for a big quilt, only to find out that quilting wasn’t as enjoyable to your gift recipient and they get bored with it.

Not only is giving something crafty a great gift, it can lead to a lifetime of enjoyment. As the saying goes, it is a gift that will keep on giving. 

PS:  there is also nothing wrong with a brand new box of crayons for crafters of all ages.

 
©2016, 2019 – Cheryl Fillion

No comments:

Post a Comment